Polestar Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
MY22 LRSM Void,Pilot,Plus
692 Posts
I got the car back today. They said all they did was reset the computer, update to 2.3 (I had already done that) and charge both the HV and 12v batteries.

I headed out earlier tonight and tried to start as normal. Car wouldn't "start" by going into gear. Took 3 goes and then it started. Weird. When I came back to the car, it would not start. I must have tried I don't know how many times. I got out of the car and locked it a couple of times, then tried some more. Nothing. Kept showing Start. System Check then shutting down again. Not sure if related but I rebooted the entertainment screen and while it was booting I tried again and the car started. It drove normally and brought me home.

So I don't know if there is still some hidden fault or if the 12v battery has died from being discharged or what. I will put a charger on it tomorrow and run a diag to see what it tells me. I saw some other comments about issues with the key. I only ever use the main fob so this seems unlikely. I'm going to be back on the phone to CS tomorrow - if they are online - or Friday. Lucky I don't have plans tomorrow.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,827 Posts
Definitely doesn’t sound like a healthy car behaviour. The 12V might be the culprit, but since they just had the car and charged it, you would think they would find out if the 12V was bad.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Definitely doesn’t sound like a healthy car behaviour. The 12V might be the culprit, but since they just had the car and charged it, you would think they would find out if the 12V was bad.
Maybe they charged the 12v and it appeared to hold a charge but over a slightly longer period it is failing. I am hoping I can get some test data from it tomorrow. But I have no confidence in the car right now.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I don’t blame you, at all.

If 12V was the culprit, at some point it would just refuse to go into drive, period. It would not be intermittent. I am afraid, it does not appear to me that they have been able to pinpoint the root cause just yet.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've taken it out 4 or 5 times in the last couple of days and it has started first time each time. I did run a check on the 12v battery and was seeing 13.1-13.4V which seems low but OK. However, every time I start, I get this. I clear it and it doesn't come back until next start, and the car seems to be driving OK. I called CS and logged it with them but no response as yet.

Vehicle Trip computer Gauge Car Personal luxury car

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Your 12V voltage looks fine … when the battery is not charged or discharged, 12.85V in most mean 100% … if you read over 13V you caught it while it was probably just charging while your car was turned on. Why do you think over 13V is low?

The error is just confirming that the root problem, sadly has not been fixed. But since the car drives fine and you don’t experience any other issue, perhaps in your case it is a software hoax. Have you tried to charge the vehicle?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Your 12V voltage looks fine … when the battery is not charged or discharged, 12.85V in most mean 100% … if you read over 13V you caught it while it was probably just charging while your car was turned on. Why do you think over 13V is low?

The error is just confirming that the root problem, sadly has not been fixed. But since the car drives fine and you don’t experience any other issue, perhaps in your case it is a software hoax. Have you tried to charge the vehicle?
I always thought the "12V" battery should be something like 13.8-14. My charger runs a test before it starts charging so that unless I pulled it before it started charging, then that would explain the 13+ measurements.

I charged the car from 60-85% yesterday. It may well just be a software issue. I presume all they will do is reset the computer again and with any luck that will be the end of it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well here we are again. Went out for some groceries this morning. Almost home, just pulled up at the lights and I get an "acceleration reduced" and it's in turtle mode. I think it's OK, I'm 2km from home I'll turtle it. But before the traffic light goes green, I get a 12V system failure and the car is dead.

So I'm getting a lift home in a breakdown truck for the second time in 7 days. Truck drops the car off on the road outside the house, facing the wrong way (it is illegal to park facing traffic here). I got a very long extension lead from the house and charged the 12V for 10 minutes, then I could get the car on the drive - with a multitude of warnings on screen - and lock the doors. Battery was showing me 12.4V when I connected the charger BTW. I charged up to 13.25V before unplugging.

So this time Polestar can keep the damn thing until they fix it and I need a loaner by the end of the week. I can manage a few days without but I need a car this coming weekend.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That's a little low for a week tbh, but should correspond to about 70% charge. Definitely sounding likely that the battery is cooked.
Yeah that plus other issues. Like on Wednesday when I know the battery was good but couldn't get it into gear.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts